My awesome friends & brothers/sisters in Christ from HP and I meet every Thursday to discuss about life and God’s revelations to us. Moochie has tagged our Thursday meet-ups to be “sanity checks” and I must say that last Thursday’s session was a good wake-up call for me. I won’t delve into too much details (small group confidentiality clause) but here’s a summary of the things that I learned:
- We do not need to please others. It’s only God who we ought to please. I’m such a people-pleaser and I always subconsciously think about what people would say about me, and that is just…horrible. Attempting to please people would just result to shallow and selfish motives behind our actions. Galatians 1:10 says: “Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.”
- I judge others when I think that they judge me. It’s not new to everyone that I overthink. Overthinking leads to over-translating of what other people do/say towards me. I probably get defensive about other people ‘condemning’/’judging’ me because of my sin. It’s not their fault. When I blame them, I just look for an “escape route”. The truth is that I’m the one who becomes ashamed. Proverbs 28:13 says: “Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.”
- Nobody is worthy by human standards but by God’s grace, we have been made righteous. It’s not OUR faith that causes us to receive grace but it’s God’s love. Even if we do not remain faithful or if we fail, He’ll remain gracious and merciful. No need to be too hard on myself. Ephesians 2:8-9 say: “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith —and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.”
It was a rough week, to say the least. But right after our Thursday session, things took a 180-degree spin and got a lot better. There really is immediate blessing when we learn to let go of our guilt and pride. Encouragement from other people came in the form of the following:
- Words of wisdom from my spiritual bro, Kebs. He is such a blessing!
- Coycoy and Lian will be baptized in water this weekend! This is something I’ve been praying for!
- Kuya Dennis passed the board exam! This is something I’ve also been praying for!
- Peace and comfort from God. Nothing can match this! :)
Off-topic: Here’s what I wore last Thursday:
The following day (Friday), I got a text from Angel in the morning and I’m very blessed with how she’s being the Jonathan to my David. I know that God is using her to strengthen me!
To add to that, I was able to join Reverb, a praise & worship night a CCF Makati! It was a night of refreshment for me. No other pick-me-upper beats worshipping the Lord! The message from their pastor hit home as he talked about God’s unconditional love. It’s great to remember that God’s commitment to us is based on HIS LOVE and not ours! He already knows that we’ll fail from our end of the covenant, but He is THAT awesome that He can accept us despite our shortcomings.
All the songs were mostly about God’s love and it sure was fun not to care about what others would think as long as I worship Him in spirit and in truth. It was first time to attend CCF and it surely inspired me to start more great things other than our soon-to-be-launched Christian webzine.
God is really great! Forever I will sing of how He gave His life away just to save me!