I have to be honest. I have the attention span of a goldfish. Dory of Finding Nemo (though not a goldfish) was never cute/adorable to me ’cause he reminded me too much of myself. I’m easily bored and ever so curious–and yup, I may have visited 3 other websites before finishing typing that sentence.
I used to be so proud of my multitasking skills, but I now realize the terrible effect it has on my focus and discipline. At any point in time, I can have 10 tabs open in my browser. You’ll also find me eating, typing up an e-mail, checking Facebook, or daydreaming while attending a conference call. I used to enjoy listening to music while working, but I’ve become so easily distracted that I cannot function with any background music at all. I’d end up singing along or humming the tune, which will flip my brain into music mode and make me lose focus in what I’m doing.
A friend recently advised that I might be spreading myself out too thinly. I definitely agree. I think part of why I’m so distracted is that I have so much on my plate that I need to pay attention to everyday. That requires me to shift gears every 30 minutes or so to think about what I need to do next. What a perfect way to enhance my almost-ADD! /sarcasm
I just took an online test on attention span and most questions made me laugh as I knew that I didn’t have to wait for the result to know that I have issues:
- Do you get distracted easily (e.g. by background noise, other people’s conversations, etc.)? Uh, yes.
- How often are you late for work or an appointment? Almost always. And yes, this is usually because I get distracted by something else when I really should already be leaving for said appointment.
- How often do you catch yourself daydreaming at work? It’s my hobby and skill.
- Do you jump from task to task because you just can’t seem to focus long enough to finish one completely? Yes. I’m not a proponent of the “finish the major task, then the minor tasks” concept. I dip my feet slowly into each task I need to do for the day.
- How do you deal with boring, repetitive tasks? It’s fine for a very short period of time, but I’d likely need a break every five minutes hahahahaha.
- You’re on the phone with a friend just as your favorite TV show starts. How difficult would it be for you to pay attention to the conversation? I will end the conversation or pause the show. I pause the shows I watch whenever I have to process a thought/idea by talking to myself. Yes, I’m a weirdo.
- When reading a book or magazine, how often do you find yourself re-reading the same paragraph or skipping ahead? Huhuhuhuhu always happens to me because I usually read through a paragraph and then forget what I just read.
There were 2-3 more questions, but since this is getting long, let’s go to the result…
That said, please call me out whenever I get distracted by…ooh, a bird!